Love the look and feel of Shopify, but fed up with the platform’s constraints on your business?
You’re not alone. Plenty of eCommerce merchants sign up with Shopify because it’s simple to set up, has attractive store design options, and is easy to manage. So easy that you don’t have to do much of anything, including choose a payment gateway. And while Shopify’s appeal to “let us handle the rest” might sound nice at first, it doesn’t take long for some merchants to recognize the limitations of the platform’s “preferred” gateway. They eventually want to investigate their options for global coverage, pricing, and support—all of which can help grow their business—but soon realize the consequences of straying, which include extra transaction fees (ranging from .5%-2%) and a lack of support. The only real choice is to settle for Shopify’s solution—which has all the flexibility of a Barbie doll trying to do yoga.If your Shopify store needs a release from its payment gateway shackles, take a look at BigCommerce. Click To Tweet
If your Shopify store needs a release from its payment gateway shackles, take a look at BigCommerce. The Shopify vs. BigCommerce analysis below shows that the two platforms aren’t all that different—except where it really counts.
Your payment gateway is more important than you think! Talk to us to find out how BlueSnap can help your BigCommerce store earn more revenue than a Shopify store.
Shopify Vs. BigCommerce
If you compare Shopify and BigCommerce, you’ll see some similarities. Both platforms:
- Are software-as-a-service (SaaS)-based. That means they’re both incredibly easy to deploy, which is probably one of the main reasons you liked Shopify in the first place. You can launch a BigCommerce store just as quickly as you launched your Shopify store—plus, you can get an in-house expert to walk you through your store setup from start to finish. There are also no maintenance or update costs, just like a Shopify store.
- Have a similar look and feel. Both BigCommerce and Shopify offer a huge variety of attractive—and responsive—eCommerce templates to enhance your brand. And they also both make it easy to design your storefront the way you want it to look, with “storefront editors” that work similarly, no coding required. You’ll be comfortable navigating through both environments, and can feel confident about recreating your store once you’ve switched to BigCommerce.
An important difference between the two—one that can seriously impact sales, particularly for B2B companies—is their different payment gateway offerings:
Only BigCommerce gives you freedom of choice when it comes to payment gateways. Shopify automatically hooks you up with Shopify Payments, regardless of whether or not that particular gateway is a good match for your business. That means you’ll miss out on the chance to sign up with a gateway like BlueSnap, which offers key features to help you sell more, including:
- An extensive acquiring bank network around the world, which allows global transactions to be sent to local banks, increasing their chances of success.
- Intelligent payment routing, a specialized system of routing “rules” that dictate where transactions are sent to maximize approvals.
- Sophisticated fraud protection provided by a leader in the field. Our global fraud protection is built in, and it can be customized for the needs of your business. Deep analysis of every transaction helps minimize fraud, letting you keep more of your revenue.
Unlike Shopify, BigCommerce knows that payment gateways aren’t one-size-fits-all. It lets customers choose the payment gateway that’s best for them, whether it’s BlueSnap or any other, with no penalties associated with any choice. It’s all about giving you a variety of options, so you can do what’s right at any time, and switch whenever you need to.
Speaking of switching… moving your store from Shopify to BigCommerce is easy!
If you’d like to switch from Shopify to BigCommerce, do it simply with BigCommerce’s free online tool. The Catalog Transfer Application walks you through the steps of moving your catalog data (products, options, categories, and customers) from your current Shopify store to your new store. Want more personalized assistance? You can hire someone at BigCommerce to help you make the transition. For larger stores or custom platforms (or if you just have questions), you can also contact the BigCommerce support team directly for additional help.
Attention BlueSnap merchants: If you make the switch now, you get three months free service from BigCommerce It’s important to us that our customers have an easy-to-use, merchant-friendly platform on which to conduct business and process payments, so we hope you’ll take advantage of this offer soon.
Take back control of your online store—and boost your revenue—by making the switch to BigCommerce today.